Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Audience participation, please

This week, Perry has been attending art camp at his school. He has loved every minute of it, both because of the art and because his best bud from school has been there, too.

His mornings at camp have given me some time, and I've been spending most of it trying to plan what I'm going to teach the children that will show up in my classroom in a mere 3 1/2 weeks.

I am so excited about this upcoming year because I will be teaching at Perry's school, and it's a private Christian school, which opens up such great new opportunities for me as a teacher. Also, this will be my first year having a regular, all-day, self-contained elementary classroom. I am thrilled about having that time to know this group of kids and really "bond" with them. I am both thrilled and humbled to have this chance to impact these kids academically, socially and spiritually.

All that to say that I want this to be a FABULOUS year! And I'm asking for YOUR HELP! Please comment and let me know your thoughts on any or all of the following (I will be teaching 4th grade, FYI):

1. Teachers/former teachers -- What are the "must-dos" in your classroom? What have you done that has worked really well for you? Activities, class procedures, organization, 1st week activities, etc.

2. What was your favorite teacher like? What did he/she do that made him/her so memorable for you?

3. What are some things you did in school which had an impact, either educationally or personally?

4. Anything else???

I will have a brand new classroom this year (I even got to pick the paint color!). They built a new section onto the school, so I am really starting from scratch! While that is a bit overwhelming, I look at it as such a fantastic opportunity to make my classroom what I want it to be.

So, please, any ideas you have for my classroom organization, management, activities, etc., CHIME IN! : )

Thanks a million!

4 comments:

Amy said...

You have to read "The First Days of School" by Harry Wong. This book is awesome! It really helped me get prepared!!!!

I miss teaching...especially this time of year!

Cheryl said...

Hey Lisa,
The last year I taught, I taught
4th grade in a Christian school!!!

These suggestions aren't typical but before the school year started, Steven and I went to my classroom and we prayed over every desk.
Then every week after completing my lesson plans, I would pray over them and ask God to help me glorify Him through my teaching.
I team taught with the 5th grade teacher (it was an unusual set-up)but anyway, each week we would pray together for our students.

So basically what I'm saying is:
PRAY!!!! ;)

If you need any more advice as the year starts, plesae let me know! You're going to love the freedom that comes from being able to not only teach but share your faith at the same time!

Susan and Lee said...

Oh my gosh! I am sure I have some advice, but can't get my brain is school mode. I miss the getting ready for the school year too! Something that I thought was neat was I made a bulletin board all about myself with pictures and all for the kids to look at during the meet and greet. They seem to enjoy it and asked me lots of questions. Also, I know something else another teacher did was during meet and greet or you could even do the first day of school was to have the kids put items (3D ones) in a bag that describes them and things they like to do or whatever else. She gave them the bag and they took it home and brought it in on the first day of school so they had the weekend to do it. They then presented it to the class the first day. I taught 5th, but I always heard 4th is great.

Lisa said...

I do have the Harry Wong book. You're right, Amy, it is a GREAT resource! I plan to spend some time with that book and Ron Clark's Essential 55 during my beach vacation the week before pre-planning!
Thanks for the ideas so far! Keep 'em coming! : )
Thank you, too, Cheryl, for the reminder of the importance of prayer. I have met my kids already and have been praying for them since. I like your idea about praying for them after you finished your lesson plans each week. Setting aside that specific time to pray is important so all the "busy-ness" of the year doesn't get in the way!