Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Random thoughts from a brain ready for Summer!

I have been away for so long! I have so missed the blogging! Let me explain the week we've had. Then we'll move on to some random thoughts.

Last week, while the hubby was out of town, I started breaking out in an ugly rash -- 1st on my leg, then all over my face (of course!). I thought the stuff on my face looked like poison ivy, but the spot on my leg had me confused. As it got worse, I decided to see someone. I got in with the nurse practioner on Fri., who told me I had a staph infection. YIKES! So all weekend I'm panicking because it's continuing to spread and get worse, and I REALLY don't want to be responsible for spreading staph around. I went to another dr., who agreed that it looked like staph but changed my antibiotic. Finally I got in to see my regular dr. on Monday, and he tells me it's POISON IVY! So everything I've been doing to treat the staph has actually probably been making it worse. He gave me steroids, but also left me on the antibiotic since he does think the leg is infected. It now seems to be improving, THANK THE LORD, but it was quite the ordeal.

Meanwhile, Perry got a fever and sore throat. After the dr. on call reassured me that this could not be related to the staph, I relaxed a bit, but we eventually found out that it was strep throat, as I suspected. He was on the mend quickly, though, and even made it back to school in time for field day on Tuesday.

All this at the beginning of the last week of school, which those teachers out there know is the CRAZIEST time of year! Summer's coming fast, though. HALLELUJAH!

Now for some random thoughts that have been floating around in my head for the past week...

1. American Idol -- I voted for David Cook. I would love to see him win, mostly because I really like his style but also because I am truly afraid of what might happen to Archuleta if he actually wins the thing. Seriously, people, he looked like he might pass out at any minute last night! Anytime the judges were talking to him I was waiting for him to hyperventilate or just fall into a heap on the floor or something. He truly has an amazing voice, but I think maybe he just needs to go home and be 17. I love him, though, I really do. To paraphrase one of my favorite bloggers,
BooMama, I just want to hug him and give him some fried chicken!

2. My baby, my only child, will finish Pre-K tomorrow. How can it be??? He is about to be in KINDERGARTEN! Seriously, I have no idea how this happened. Although often when I'm talking to him, I think he has to be at least 14...

So if he acts like a teenager now, what will he be like when he is one? Will he act 5 then? Probably so...

3. I saw this really terrific idea somewhere the other day. I really hope to find the time to start it this summer. It's an "On this day..." family calendar. You record significant events as they happen, and it becomes a great family history to review. For example, May 22 might say, "On this day in 2008, Perry attended his last day of PreK." You can record new places you visit, big family milestones, and silly little things. I think it would be fun to see which things different family members choose to write down and how long it takes to fill up every day of the year! I REALLY wish I could find the link to the much better explanation I found online... I'm trying, I really am!

4. I missed my little sister's college graduation today because, for some strange reason, her college thought the middle of the day on Wed. was a great time to hold a very meaningful event which people often travel many miles to attend! So, even though I was not there, I want to say


CONGRATULATIONS, AMANDA!!! We're very proud of you and love you very much!!!
Now, go get a job!

Sorry, just couldn't resist! : ) Just kidding... We do love her lots. Again, though, how can it be that my BABY sister is a college graduate? Seriously? I am OLD, people!

That's all for now! Hopefully, I'll be back to regular posting and I'll find something meaningful to talk about. Fun-filled summer days are ahead, so check back often for news and pictures!

1 comment:

Susan and Lee said...

I can't believe summer is here either Lisa. I have officially completed my first year from work being a stay at home mom. I love it, but it is just as tiring if not more than teaching. Congratulations to Perry! and your sister! I know the last week is crazy. Have fun

Susan