Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Our Trip to the Big City

On Monday, my man and I had the opportunity to visit The Trinity House. I have 3 words to describe the experience -- A-MAZ-ING! OK, I know that's technically one word, BUT in this case, it should be 3.

A group from our church visits each month for the TEAM dinner program. Eric went last month and came home full of great things to say about the ministry and his time there. Anytime Eric is full of things to say, I know something powerful is happening! My man is not much of a talker for the most part. (I know what some of you are thinking -- but even when I do give him a chance to speak, he doesn't usually say too much.) Anyway, he insisted that I go this month, and, boy, am I glad he did!

The men at
Trinity House are in recovery from addiction, and, let me tell you, this program is SERIOUS. They have to be ready to turn their lives around and willing to work for it. First, they must personally ask to be allowed into the house. They interview with the staff, and, as our guide put it, "that's the easy part". They must also convince the "brotherhood" that they want help and are commited to change. Basically, the whole structure is somewhat like a fraternity, with some military aspects as well (think push-ups, strict schedules, household chores, etc). There is a hierarchy based on time in the house, and they gain priveleges as they "move up." The goal, of course, is independent living, and they may spend up to 2 years in the house working towards that. There is intense accountability, incredible support and structure, and lots of spiritual and emotional focus along the way.

We did tour the facility and learn about the program, but most of our time was spent hanging out and eating with the men.


(Cool historical fact -- The Trinity House is built around an old church which was the site of Martin Luther King, Jr.'s funeral. We ate dinner in the chapel where his body lay in state. WOW!)

Each man shares some of his personal story at dinner. The guests share as well, and the openness and honesty of all involved is really incredible to see. Many of the residents blew me away with their insight and their vulnerability. One man sitting next to me spoke of the humility it takes to come to the house and to get clean. He said, "When you humble yourself, you are exalted. When you exalt yourself, you will be humbled." Another of the residents took off from that point and discussed how all of them were once willing to humble themselves to support their addictions. They would do things they never thought they would to get what they REALLY wanted. Just the same, they had to REALLY want to recover, because to be in that house and turn your life around, you MUST humble yourself.

One of the guests then shared about how he had lost everything a few years ago -- his business, his financial security, etc., not because of addiction, but because of pride. When he started over, he chose to do it with God in his life, and humbling himself and giving up control was the only way he could begin to recover what he had lost.


Now, I don't know about you, but I know I have lost some things in my life because of pride -- opportunities, friends, etc. I admire these men so much for their humility and their willingness to say, "I have a problem, and I need help and support." Even those of us who haven't lost it all or hit "rock bottom" have times in our lives when we need to say that. The sooner we do, the sooner we release it and head back in the right direction.

Here's the other thing: these men were so much fun to hang out with and talk to! I genuinely had a great time learning about the man sitting beside me and laughing and joking with him at dinner. They were all homeless, many are estranged from their families, and most do not have jobs right now. However, several of the men we met were professionals and family men at one time in their lives. One worked for IBM and travelled the world, but when he went through a divorce, he "fell apart," as he put it. As I listened to them, I thought many times, "There, but for the grace of God, go I."

One of the residents made the point that lives are changed in a moment. In a moment, one can make a decision that will eventually ruin them. In a moment, he can turn away from it and commit to change. As I walk through my life, I must remember that my life is defined by my moments. What I do and say, the choices I make, have the potential to affect me and those around me for eternity, really.

I am so thankful for
The Trinity House and the work they are doing with these men. These intelligent, funny, friendly men are learning to walk with God, functioning as part of a family, and truly learning to live again. Their futures, their eternities, their lives are literally being saved.

I can't wait to go back.

No comments: